Sunday 26 September 2010

Book fair

I'm just from a book fair at the Sarit Center. I wasn't too enthusiastic about going because I thought it would be boring and hardly anyone would attend. How wrong I was!

There was quite a flock of people wandering around and some actually buying books. Okay, a lot of them were parents with their kids looking to buy schoolbooks but some literary enthusiasts were present too (like yours truly). You know the kind, dreadlocked, wearing african print shirts, copper and bead jewelery, etc. It's like being artsy in Kenya makes you want to dress more 'ethnic' for some reason. Not that I mind though. Anything is better than a boring old suit I always say.

Come to think of it, my attire was also somewhat patriotic. I had on a t-shirt and cap labelled 'Kenya'. Great coincidence, hmm?

The most appealing stand for me was an e-learning one. A couple of guys there were showcasing a software application that contains lessons for the entire KCSE (Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education) syllabus! Complete with voice overs and flash videos. How cool it that?

It had me feeling like "Where was all this stuff when I was growing up? I'd never have gone to school!" What fun my life would have been. Anyhoo, water under the bridge.

I managed to get some good contacts the best of which was this guy that told me about a club for writers, journalists and the like. I've been searching for such for years! I left feeling quite pleased with myself for having gone to the fair. A Sunday well spent.

No comments: